[Gllug] performance of xen dom0 vs native linux

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun May 10 14:16:49 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 11:40:48AM +0100, Nahuel Marisi wrote:
> Concise and to the point. Thanks Rich, will have a look at KVM virtio
> drivers.
> any good and simple  ways of measuring performance ?

I'm not too good on this topic.  We have an in-house testing team who
do performance measurements using their own tools.  But I don't really
know what tools they use.

You could try the obvious stuff like: bonnie, ttcp, iperf, ...

One thing that you should also measure is performance with loads on
multiple guests at the same time.

Testing is quite a tricky business, particularly if your architecture
is NUMA-ish (like multisocket AMD or the newest Intel stuff).  Then
you end up having to be careful to pin guests and interrupts to
particular CPUs.  It involves quite a lot of 'local knowledge' about
the system itself.  We have a tool called 'tuna' which can help ...

  http://userweb.kernel.org/~acme/tuna/

Rich.

--
Richard Jones