[Gllug] clueless at IPMI, hellp! (was Re: Hardware monitoring on IBM X335)

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun May 17 16:53:29 UTC 2009

2009/5/17 Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk>:
> On 13 May 2009, Henrik Morsing stated:
>> Been looking at monitoring of our xSeries today and it was relatively
>> easy getting IPMI to work on the X336s but it appears that the X335s
>> are different. Is it really impossible to monitor fan speeds and
>> temperature on these systems or has anyone done this?
>
> On a quasi-unrelated front I've just been exposed to IPMI for the first
> time and it's somewhat confusing. I have so far completely failed to get
> IPMI-over-the-network working thru ipmitool. The BMC has a MAC of its
> own, so presumably it should have an IP of its own as well.

Nix, as you've figured out you can 'talk to' the IPMI card over the
i2c bus locally, or over the network.

Could you do an   'ipmitool lan print 1' locally on the box please?

IPMI ports are 623 and  664

Regarding MAC addresses I have seen it both ways - on Supermicro kit
the MAC is the same as the main board IP,
and on Dells and Suns it is different. Actually, I just checked a
Supermicro motherboard and it is different from the mainboard one.
The MAC can be the same in the case of the motherboard having an
on-board bridge, when the IPMI snaffles (technical term) any traffic
on port 623 or 664

Also, as I remember, you sometimes have to permit lan access on channel 1
The commands here are:
ipmitool channel info 1
ipmitool setaccess 1 ADMIN ipmi=-on link-on
assuming you use the userid ADMIN

Have you also had a good look at the BIOS settings?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk