[Gllug] Which architecture?

Juergen Schinker ba1020 at homie.homelinux.net
Tue May 5 13:01:24 UTC 2009

Joel Bernstein wrote:

> How do you suggest that iPlayer isn't an application? What is your
> point here? It's very difficult to discuss anything with you if you
> don't write sentences that make sense in English. I do appreciate that
> it's not your first language and that that must make it harder to
> write fluently but surely use of full sentences, punctuation and
> capital letters are at least as common in German? I might be
> misunderstanding you. You're suggesting that iPlayer is not an
> application, but that a site with Flash videos (youtube?) *is* an
> application? Or...what?

No Karanbir made this stupid statement

The so called "iplayer" is certainly an app in the Windows-world but
in the Linux world it's just a Website where you can stream Flash-files
because AFAIK there is no Linux-Client.

>> Second i don't install nonfree Player like Flash by default and wonder
>> how unaccessible it is (also not with swfdec)
>
> What are you on about here?

When you deliberately never install Flash for various reasons
and the only compromise you make is swfdec (a free Flash video player)
than you can't watch anything that BBC has to offer.

>> How hard is it to release the content in ogg vorbis?
>
> Does Flash decode Ogg Vorbis by default? Is it as bandwidth efficient
> as H.264? Why do you care which video codec the Flash client uses to
> transfer video to your browser?

I certainly care because i want to use only free codecs embedded in free
Players (not as in free Beer) and don't want to be obliged to install
proprietary closed crap from Macromedia.

Sorry for my short sentences I'm just impatient...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk