[Gllug] performance of xen dom0 vs native linux

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sat May 9 07:21:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 21:33 +0100, Juergen Schinker wrote:
> Bruce Richardson wrote:
> >>>
> >> Yes

> >> No
> >
> > Both of those answers are completely wrong.  I assume no further
> > information was given because there was no real thought behind them.
> >

> You assume wrong and there is a lot of thought and personal experience

Evidently your "experience" doesn't match that of the rest of us.  The
resource reduction caused by the existence of the hypervisor is often
quite noticeable and can be very significant.  Fast, modern hardware
goes some way to mitigating the impact of the additional processes being
run, but the effects are there and they're quantifiable.  There are also
other issues with the way hardware can be controlled from within Xen -
networking can be a knotty problem, too.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk