[Gllug] How much system memory do I have?

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Thu May 7 10:19:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 12:47:33PM +0300, ryan-ir at hai.fi wrote:
> On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 10:41:15AM +0100, Peter Corlett wrote:
> > On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 12:32:49PM +0300, ryan-ir at hai.fi wrote:
> > [...]
> > > The processor is infact a 64 bit one but I have been a little reluctant to
> > > play with a 64 bit version of linux. Maybe I should bite the bullet and give
> > > one a go - no doubt it will be educational.
> >
> > It will be too unspectacular to be educational. 64 bit Debian looks exactly
> > the same as 32 bit Debian, except that my runaway Perl scripts can now suck
> > up more than 3GB of memory.
>
> Really? I thought that there were some programs that could only be run
> with 32 libraries and so necessitating the system with bith 64 and 32 bit
> libraries. I should say that this is pretty much a desktop system.
>
> t. ir

Not entirely sure how much I can add here except to say I have successfully installed amd64 Debian Lenny with this CPU

model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz

auto magically I get the following top level dirs

lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    20 2009-05-02 14:44 lib32 -> /emul/ia32-linux/lib
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root     4 2009-05-02 14:20 lib64 -> /lib

so I am assuming that anything that needs 32 bit will find it.

Mine is a laptop and desktop system.  Almost everything Just Worked except I needed a non-free driver to raise the wireless and 64-bit Flash for BBC output.
Also backports.org has lenny backports up now.

Regards

Lesley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk