[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Wed May 20 16:00:28 UTC 2009

Nix wrote:
> On 18 May 2009, general verbalised:

>>                                        Likewise, if I need to write a
>> program I'd prefer to write it in Python to C
>
> But you'd use a *language*. You wouldn't try to describe it visually,
> because that's not precise enough for anything useful --- and if it was,
> you've just used a visual language (there have been a few, they never
> took off).

Visual languages (in a broader sense) have certainly taken off with
Vista and MS Office, and KDE has been too close behind: what used to be
"click the start button" as a first step towards support has become
"Click on the roundel at the bottom left with a four-coloured Windows
flag inside" for Vista, "Click on the blue square at the bottom left
with a white K in the top right super-imposed on a circular gear." for
Kubuntu.

This is perhaps because some are obsessed with visually representing
everything, far beyond just what's appropriate.

Text-terminals are often more effective. None of this mouse-banditry!
Want to add a new client? 1-3-8, fill her in and done.

As always, the solution is in a synthesis -- whoever combines ncurses
and http will do the world some good.

Cheers,
--
Alistair Mann