[Gllug] ed vs emacs/vi, was: ed vs emacs, was: OpenMoko Neo Freerunner

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Mon May 18 09:02:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, 17 May 2009, Nix wrote:

> On 15 May 2009, damion yates said:
>
> > On Fri, 15 May 2009, Nix wrote:
> >
> > > I rely on being able to do things like searches, followed by
> > > hopping *back to where I was before. And *everything* that moves
> > > the cursor a large distance or in a way that isn't trivially
> > > reversible
> >
> > You mean like vim's `` ?
>
> I said I was a vim luser. I am unsurprised that vim has an equivalent,
> since vim is obviously trying to turn vi into Emacs. I have no access
> to vim on most systems I work on in my day job, only XEmacs and icky
> Solaris vi.

It's '' in vanilla vi, the only enhancement vim has with `` is position
on the line rather than just returning to the previous line.

I was in a similar position at the beeb, most boxes had vi, but I had
vim locally.  So I was very careful not to get too used to any vim
extentions that I relyed upon them.

I actually found I was able to adapt to adapting, humans are great like
that.  So I started to use more and more vim features but was able to
instantly adapt to the more hostile vi only environment on remote boxes.
Using hjkl for movement in command mode rather than assuming cursors
worked actually makes it easier to think in terms of quick macro writing
even in the vim environment.

The same was the case for tcsh/bash vs plain csh on remote boxes.  I
appeared to need nothing more than notice the prompt was different for
my brain to realise I needed ^[ for completion rather than ^I.

Next up, less vs more:

damion at pants:~$ type more
more is aliased to `less'
damion at pants:~$ echo $LESS