[Gllug] wicd manager

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 10:25:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009, lucypeters at mail.com wrote:

> > My wireless router is dlink AirPlus Xtreme G DI-624 Rev. C3
>
> I was able to go online using the below settings with the cable
> plugging to the wireless router.

Ah, so the laptop was plugged in to one of the four ports of the wifi
router physically.  You should probably double check it had a
192.168.x.x IP address at this point.

It sounds like everything is close to working as expected.  The details
here:

> IP Address
>
> 192.168.0.1
>
> Connection
>
> DHCP Client Connected
>
> IP Address
>
> 86.1.111.198

Seem fine, and reflect a working Internet connection via the wifi
router, which in turn is using your cable router's connection.

> Once I unplug the cable from the laptop and no longer able to connect
> wirelessly. Can you help ?

Interesting...  It's not clear if unplugging the laptop in some way
upset either of the routers, perhaps no longer seeing the laptop
ethernet addresses they were expecting to floating around in the mix?

The problem is that your wifi router might have been having a whale of a
time remaining connected to the Internet, but you'd not have known this
whilst your laptop was unable to connect to it.

How long did you give it?  Your laptop would need to forget its eth0
config, and decide to go back to wireless, after which it would need to
re-dhcp eth1 and pick up and IP (possibly the same one) and def.gw
automatically to get going again.

Did it work immediately on plugging the network cable back in to the
wifi router?

When you unplugged the network cable, and let wicd do its stuff, could
you ping 192.168.0.1 over the wireless link ?  This was the part that
you had working last time.  If you can ping that but the Internet
connection isn't working (traceroute -n 80.87.128.36), then we have to
assume some weird MAC address complaining from your cable router.  If
you can no longer ping 192.168.0.1, then we've somehow regressed from
what you had working at the start of this thread.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk