[Gllug] Ethernet switch recommendation

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Sat Nov 28 12:39:31 UTC 2009

> My 4 port so-called "gigabit" Netgear switch is now down to 2
> fullyworking ports.  It's rubbish anyway, since it slows down to 10
> Base-T speeds as soon as any non-standard traffic flows over it
> (eg. multicast).
>
> So I'm looking for a 16 port, good quality, gigabit ethernet switch
> which isn't consumer grade junk, and I'm prepared to spend a bit of
> money on it too.  What should I be looking for?

"I don't know" but ...

I think it depends how close to theoretical throughput
you need to sail, what your application is, how many
concurrent devices will be required, plus what you
are prepared to pay.

If you have the flexibility to route through multiple
switches then you may achieve faster rates and higher
uptime/reliability via fault tolerance with some kind
of multi-device switching fabric, which may also be
cheaper than buying a really expensive SPOF.

The SAN vendors we spoke to recently emphasised that many
gigabit switches (IIRC notoriously a popular lower-end
model from a leading vendor starting with the third
letter of the alphabet) are (words to the effect of)
'absolute garbage'.

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk