[Gllug] EEE issues

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 19 06:40:33 UTC 2009

2009/11/18 Frazer Irving <superfraz at clumsyjedi.com>:

> Before I go, on the front of USB 3G modems, I have not forgotten the good
> advice I have received, but I realised that even if I can overcome the
> technical issues there is still the minor problem of asking the ISP what the
> phone number is to be dialled by the modem.

AFAIK, Network Manager has a list of the numbers of many providers - I
haven't used it directly with a USB 3G dongle though.

I bought a MiFi on the 3 network last week. Works out of the box on an
eee PC, and any other device with a wireless network connection for
that matter. The device is a self contained wireless access point and
3G modem in a little puck about the size of a mobile phone. It is a
Huawei E5830 device. Only drawback is that the software to change its
settings is windows only - there is an upgrade to a web interface
coming up.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk