[Gllug] Take a look at my photos on Facebook

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:56:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Bernard Peek <bap at shrdlu.com> wrote:

> I've heard lots of people tell me that it's impossible to build a stable
> Windows system when I know that it passed the five-nines (given
> competent administrators) availability point nearly ten years ago.

Yes and no. Ten years ago, I was working for one of the few (only two,
IIRC) vendors[1] that offered five nines Windows systems, and while it
was strictly true, it was cheating somewhat. The only way to get that
level of reliability was to sell a system that effectively consisted
of two separate machines running in a cluster (albeit in a single
physical box), so that when one went down, the other took over. Five
nines from a single box running Windows simply wasn't viable at the
time. Fortunately, I haven't been near a Windows system since then[2],
so I have no idea whether the situation has improved or not. I suspect
it has. Are they able to deliver five nines yet? No idea...

Tet

[1] Data General, FWIW
[2] Realistically, I wasn't really going near it back then, either. I
was using DG-UX (which was in many ways a wonderful OS, and but for a
quirk of fate, it could have been huge)

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk