[Gllug] MS & LSE ROFL!

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Sun Nov 22 21:30:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 07:04:13PM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> I solved the 'whoops I have accidentally deleted my file' problem by replacing
> rm with an alternative that saves the file away somewhere (eitehr by a move or
> a copy-and-delete).  The original rm was renamed something else so is still
> available where an absolute removal is required!

This is a really bad idea.

Create a new command ("del", say) that does what you suggest, and learn
to use that.

Otherwise, it is inevitable that at some point you'll blithely rm
something with the smug knowledge that if you screw up, it's saved
somewhere, forgetting that you've not got round to installing your tweak
on this particular computer.

Similarly, making rm default to having -i or -I, which some people
favour, will also train them to think too little before using wildcards.
Much better to create a new command, and use that.

That way, when you screw up you get to see:

  bash: del: command not found

rather than you getting a sudden sinking feeling as you realise what's
really happening.

Cheers, Phil.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk