[Gllug] Temperature monitoring hardware

Fri Nov 6 14:49:41 UTC 2009

Apologies for the lack of response; my employer decided I should work
for my wage for a bit.

- Tethys <tethys at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. I can't remember the manufacturer of the one that's measuring the
> temperature in our server room, but it works a treat. It has a serial
> interface and it's trivially easy to read. You don't even need to
> write any code, you can just do it from a shell script.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=rs232+thermometer

That'd be pretty much perfect. Why the query 'rs232 thermometer' never
occurred to me I'm not entirely sure, but I've got several billion
candidates now.

"general_email at technicalbloke.com" <general_email at technicalbloke.com>
> Given that the hottest temperatures are going to occur in your case
> couldn't you just monitor the onboard temperature sensors with
> lmsensors? Or is your need more complex?

I don't know about Robert, but I've got other things in teh same
cupboard (router, switches, phone bits and pieces) and it seems to get
rather warm anyway. And the case is at the bottom, and pretty much
everything else is at the top.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)