[Gllug] where's the install-fest?

sean S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Sun Nov 8 13:10:32 UTC 2009

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 10/22/2009 07:14 PM, Magnus Leuthner wrote:
>
>> is there a regular install fest going on in the Norf-London area or
>> anywhere in London? If not, is anyone interested in helping me
>> organize one? Maybe once a month or bi-monthly?
>>

> Is there much of an interest in this ? Even at regular meetings, where
> we had encouraged people to bring machines in, and their problems - we
> hardly ever had anyone come in.

the first meetings at Westminster had a lot of install fest, or install
problem sessions. we would generally always have a lab open and there
would be base units carried in from home. sometimes there would be hard
disks pulled out of base units and hooked up to other machines to get a
bootable system installed. there was a gradual change to laptops being
brought along with sound and wireless problems, with an occasional
application problem. as you say the number of people with any sort of
problem has dropped.

> My take on this is that Linux itself is no longer niche enough that
> people need to come together in groups for such stuff. But I might be
> wrong :)

if anyone wants to organise an install fest, or possibly some practical
demos of software then feel free to get in touch.

regards

sean

--
The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk