[Gllug] ebook readers for technical books

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 16:20:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 12:11 +0000, Sean Burlington wrote:
> Simon Morris wrote:
> >
> > I have a Sony PRS-505 reader.. I use it mainly for technical books (see
> > my question below) and it's usable but not flawless.

> Can it cope with password protected PDF's - or ones with watermark
> backgrounds?

Hmmm, I've never tested that in anger. I generated a password protected
PDF file in OpenOffice and transferred it. It wasn't able to open it, so
I would guess not but I haven't looked into it deeply.

> I've got a few like this from Apress and Safari.
>
> And how does it cope with displaying an A4 PDF on a 6 inch screen?

Yes, fairly well. Some PDF books I've read on there seem to have a
definite margin defined which means that you are unable to zoom in and
enlarge the text.

However, most of the PDF manuals I've read on there can be zoomed in
upon and the text reflows OK.

If you want to, send me a file offlist and I'll post some photos of how
it looks on the reader. I haven't had it that long and I'm a bit worried
about passing on duff info!

> I'd happily buy ebooks if I could...

+1

~sm