[Gllug] Wanted - small (20, 30, 40gb) ide disks for kids' computers

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 19 11:14:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Walter Stanish
<walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com> wrote:
>> At the BBC the Unix team built everything from their desks, via serial
>> consoles and netbooting, but occasionally we'd need to venture down to
>> the datacentre, where we'd see the Windows engineers in coats installing
>> by cdrom.
>
> A lovely tale!
>
> I agree that in my experience net booting, for all the up front
> configuration that may be required, is such a brilliant way to deploy
> systems.
>
> Complete control, no maintenance issues, lower hardware costs....
> total win!
>
> More people should try this.
>
> - Walter

In big networks it becomes a problem, because pretty much anybody can
deploy its own DHCP and boot servers.

You can solve this with 3rd party software that ensures machines are
authenticated in your network, or by segregating the build environment
in order to build the most sensitive machines.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk