[Gllug] Take a look at my photos on Facebook

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Wed Nov 4 09:47:48 UTC 2009

Christopher Hunter wrote:

> Incidentally, the latest Redmond Rubbish is just as broken as the
> previous versions - the same vulnerabilities still exist.

Really which ones?

> At work we got two laptops with Win 7 pre-loaded, so I've had a chance
> to see it.  First boot was surprisingly quick, but the shiny bits are
> much the same as Vista.  There was no option to choose browser (like
> there was meant to be).

Yes there is its called the Internet install what you like. As if
Microsoft is going to have a choice "Please choose Firefox, Opera,
Chrome or have ours Explorer" If that's the case I want to see Explorer
available native, none of that wine crossover rubbish, in the repo's.

> We installed the latest version of "Office" onto one of them, and tried
> to use it.  File transfer is horribly slow, and it fell over to a blank
> screen after half an hour of use.  A (very slow) reboot allowed it all
> to start up again.  The boot time was now several times longer than the
> first time, and the "performance" of the whole thing appeared sluggish.

Seems fine here, what's your network 10MB? What version of Office? I'm
using 2007 but have tested it with 2010 as well and its fine.

> At this point, neither machine had been attached to a network.  We
> installed "F-secure" anti-malware nonsense (our IT department demand it)
> on both and the machines slowed down radically.  We connected to the
> 'net via our network, and tried to download updates to the anti-malware
> effort and to Windows.

So that's F-secure and nothing whatsoever to do with Windows 7

> Both machines began nagging about "registration".  We got both
> registered (after some time on the phone to India), and then our
> troubles really started.

Why did you not do Internet activation? You clearly state later that
your network failed which means you had Internet access so I'm a tad
confused.

Why was you speaking to a human? Its automated activation these days and
takes about 1 to 2 minutes. Oh I see its the India Call Centre taint.

> We had both crash several times, and one of
> them lost the ability to network at all.

What? Because it was activated? Huh?

> I tried booting Knoppix on the
> broken one, and networking was fine, demonstrating that it was Windows
> that couldn't network, rather than a hardware fault.

I'm still confused you stated at the start of the post that "We
connected to the 'net via our network, and tried to download updates to
the anti-malware effort and to Windows." yet here you're saying that
after activating it failed to go on the Net? I think not.

> The one with "Office" "lost" a few files that had been saved to it, and
> after relocating and restoring them (they'd been arbitrarily sent to the
> Trash), we found that they were corrupt!

That's an Office fault not Windows 7

> Both machines have been reinstalled from their "support" discs, and
> returned to the manufacturer as "not fit for purpose"!

I love Linux, I'm 98% total Linux at home I use Linux at work. We are
prominently a Microsoft reseller so I ought to make that clear but I
cant sit by and see inconsistencies and inaccurate information purely
for the purposes of slating MS

Windows 7 is a pretty good product and it would seem MS has listened to
its customer base for a change.

Is it a threat to Linux? I doubt it.

--
Regards