[Gllug] MS & LSE ROFL!

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Nov 21 14:43:24 UTC 2009

On 19 Nov 2009, Alain Williams spake thusly:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:00:24PM +0000, Nix wrote:
>> As someone in the biz in my day job, this is not even slightly
>> surprising. I am anti-shocked. (What proportion of the systems
>> connecting to the LSE are Linux, I wonder? Most of them, I suspect, with
>> most of the rest being Sun.)
>
> +1 -- I have never understood how anyone could put anything mission
> critical on a MS machine.

Work is an "MS Partner" and all the sysadmins (so-called) are MS people,
so they run VMs under VMWare on Windows 2008 Server. Even the SAN is
running Windows (which I didn't know was possible until I heard that).

Last week they had some horrendous Windows bluescreen clusterfsck and
all the data on the *entire SAN* was lost. *All* of it.

They are 'trying' to recover from backups now, but it is 'touch-and-go'.
WTF? Can't Windows even do a *backup* properly? How hard can copying a
file over and over again be?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk