[Gllug] where's the install-fest?

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Nov 8 14:12:38 UTC 2009

2009/11/7 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>:
> Is there much of an interest in this ? Even at regular meetings, where
> we had encouraged people to bring machines in, and their problems - we
> hardly ever had anyone come in.

Could this be a result of it being in Central London? I am guessing a
number of people turn up via public transport and as such won't easily
be able to bring some machines (desktops) to meetings?

Is free partking available at the venue? Do people who are in the LUG
and live in Central London even _have_ cars?

> My take on this is that Linux itself is no longer niche enough that
> people need to come together in groups for such stuff. But I might be
> wrong :)

I suspect that to some degree you're right in that the "install" part
isn't the big issue any more. What with graphical installers, decent
partition managers and usb installation methods being relatively easy,
the "issues" have moved on to "how do I get <device> working in
<distro>" or "is there an app for <this>".

Hants LUG and Surrey LUG (two of your neighbours) have successfully
held "Bring a box" meetings every month and have done for years.

http://hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MeetingRecords
http://surrey.lug.org.uk/Meetings/BringABox/Archive

Perhaps calling it an "install fest" puts people off, or indicates
it's something it isn't. We have people (existing members and new
ones) turning up most months with laptops, desktops and even rack
mount servers to be "fixed". Usually someone is able to help.

Cheers,
Al.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk