[Gllug] Windows XP 64 bit password reset from Ubuntu - where is

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Tue Nov 10 07:47:37 UTC 2009

Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 09 Nov, Benjamin Donnachie wrote:
>

>> I just use the Offline Password Editor CD[1] to reset Admin passwords.
>>  Haven't yet tried it on 64 bits - I'll at work tomorrow and will let
>> you know.
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
>>

>    Reports I hear are that blanking the password with the offline NT
> password editor might take a few minutes, but ophcrack can spend a few hours
> and still fail.
>    I have also been asked by friends doing laptop repairs whether there is
> any way of getting past a BIOS password.

Yes blanking can be much faster BUT there is one important caveat. If
the user in question has windows encrypted files/folders you will quite
likely lose access to them forever by changing their password. Orpcrack,
while slower and non determinate won't give you that problem. If you're
in any doubt, image the drive before wiping the password.

Also, re: BIOS, as somebody said earlier ocassionally leaving the
battery disconnected for a while will do this. If not then you need to
replace the BIOS chip itself. There's a bunch of places that do this and
it's remarkably cheap. Tell them to have a look at:
http://bios-repair.co.uk/

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk