[Gllug] MS grumbles (was: take a lookat my photos on Facebook)

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 13:04:28 UTC 2009

2009/11/6 Martyn Drake <martyn at drake.org.uk>

> On 6 Nov 2009, at 09:46, JLMS wrote:
>
> > People failed to realize back then that the most important asset in a
> > computing system was the data and failed to protect it properly  (to a
> > great extent it still isn't done today, Ubuntu is doing some
> > interesting work on that regard by providing a transparently encrypted
> > folder in your home directory by default).
>
> Back then, for PCs, security was the responsibility of the application
> itself and not the operating system.  If you had to protect any data,
> the vendor responsible for the software had to DIY and not rely on the
> underlying operating system (i.e. MS-DOS) to do it.  Anything that
> protected the OS was through third party vendors (although I am having
> trouble thinking of anything that sat on top of DOS and "protected" it).
>
> Regards,
>
> Martyn
>
> --

DOS failed to do many primary jobs of an OS. (Says he remembering his OS
lectures from University) But then it was replaced nearly 15 years ago
now.... (I say nearly because parts of its failures existed well into its
replacements... ie Win9X (or should that be Windows 4 given Microsoft's
current version numbering). I also can't say that many other Desktop OS's
from

How do they get to 7? The only way I can arrive at 7 is to forget 95, 98 and
ME

But then were talking ancient history.

I've heard storys of Windows needing to be defraged once a month, that are
appently running a File System that does not need to be defragged (NTFS) and
needing 4 windows boxes to do the job 1 Unix box could do before. While this
does not degrade the reliability (ie the number usally quoted with a
multiple number of 9s) it does make a big dent in the (usable) uptime....

Also the big selling point with Windows always was that you need less or
even no sys admins that the comparative Unix system, The problem being is
that while it works without them its does not work quite as well as it would
with more and those will cost you more....

Peter.