[Gllug] Windows 7

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Tue Nov 17 20:24:40 UTC 2009

On 17/11/2009 07:20, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> Random crashes - often not reproducible, and often requiring a hard
> reset.
>
> On-line registration failure, necessitating a call to a useless call
> centre at great expense.
>
> Incompatibility with (even quite recent) software.
>
> Failure to correctly render web pages and failure to install suitable
> browser add-ons for some multimedia content (and "Media Centre" doesn't
> work properly).
>
> Seriously slow "performance" after a few boots - it gets slower each
> time you try to use it.
>
> Really long boot times after the first few uses.
>
> General networking problems - lost configuration is common.
>
> Arbitrary interruption by the "protection" functions - " are you REALLY,
> ABSOLUTELY, DEFINITELY, DETERMINEDLY certain you want to do that?".
>
> ...and it even LOOKS bad!

If all that's true then either your hardware is screwed or you're doing
it wrong. I run Win7 32 bit and Win7 64 bit on my netbook and gaming
machine respectively.  The netbook install has been flawless, the games
rig bluescreens one every couple of weeks due to a known problem with
Creative's driver.  Both boot significantly faster than XP, I get _much_
better battery life out of the netbook with Win7.

Also Microsoft's product activation line is an 0800 number (0800 018 8354).

I'm suspecting that you're doing it wrong, frankly.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk