[Gllug] wicd manager

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 22:21:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, lucypeters at mail.com wrote:

> > Right. This worked fine before, something has changed. So far the
> > only (remaining) changes from when we started this thread, is to
> > hardwire the network settings in to the wan config on the wifi
> > router.
>
> Can you clarify how to hardwire the network settings in to the wan
> config on the wifi router ?

You already did this, this was setting the wan config on the router with
the right ip 81.something I think.  This is why the wifi router now
works when used wired.  It also if I understand it, now permits XP to
work wirelessly with Internet access, something which didn't work before
(although you never nade that clear).

> > What other changes exist in the configuration on your wifi router
> > and laptop?
> >
> > We should be able to go back to the laptop being able to ping the
> > wifi router, only this time it should also be able reach the
> > Internet.
> >
> > As we now know the wifi router is safely attached to your cable
> > Internet connection, you can safely faff around with the wifi
> > attached device, maybe reboot XP (if trying that), restart wicd etc.
>
> By using the same wifi settings, I was able to boot up both wired and
> wirelessly from windows xp . Whereas in linux, I could only able to
> boot up wired. Do you know why the wifi settings can boot up
> wirelessly in windows xp but not in linux?

I'm not sure what has changed, this worked before.  You emailed pings
from linux showing eth1 with an ip (dhcp gained), able to ping the wifi
router.  Something has changed, maybe in wicd.  Are you still using
dynamic ip for eth1 via wicd ?  It's only the wifi router config which
we turned off dynamic ip so we could set the ip.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk