[Gllug] ebook readers for technical books

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Tue Nov 3 21:57:06 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 11:52 +0100, Sean Burlington wrote:
>    I notice that the ebook competition seems to be hotting up at the
> moment with Kindle becoming available in the UK - and Barnes & Noble
> releasing a new reader.

There is a lot coming to market and with improvements to the interface
some smaller devices might work well for larger pages.

As usual Microsoft has is hinting at some great hardware but who knows
it might be vaporware:
http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet

> Is there anything out yet that's good for reading technical books in PDF
> format?

I have used an Irex for an hour or so, it was great. The mobileread
forums have lots of discussion about various ebooks and they have kindly
made a comparison matrix:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

hth
Justin

--
If you are an adult, you can choose to act like a child. If you do not
accept being an adult, you are only a child. -JJJ

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk