[Gllug] TV ExpressCard/USB - any recommendations/avoids?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Nov 19 23:07:12 UTC 2009

On 19 Nov 2009, Christopher Hunter spake thusly:

> On Wed, 2009-11-18 at 23:33 +0000, Peter Corlett wrote:
>> CRTs are not a technology I will ever be nostalgic for.
>
> Nor me - they're unreliable, hot, have nasty high voltages inside them
> and produce noxious fumes.  However, they are the only option providing
> any real quality for the foreseeable future.  The ONLY LCD screens I've
> seen installed in TV studios are used for "Autocue" purposes.  The three
> monitor types still used in the TV studios I work in are Sony, Panasonic
> or Barco, and ALL are CRT-based.

You may be right for TVs, but for computer use, I'd stick with LCDs: the
gamut and darkness isn't *that* bad anymore, the motion blur is
invisible to my eyes at least, and with the demise of the VGA connector,
it's properly pixel-addressable, which for me led to a drastic and
visible quality improvement. With the VGA signal, white letters on a
dark background would produce a faint smear several widths of each
letter to its right.  With digital in, that smear is (of course)
entirely gone. (Also, with some VGA cables you could see interference
patterns and noise of various sorts wavering across the screen. With
digital in, none of that. It's crystalline.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk