[Gllug] Wanted - small (20, 30,

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Nov 16 11:28:00 UTC 2009

On 16 Nov 2009, at 10:53, Chris Bell wrote:
[...]
> I use fdisk or cfdisk to configure old drives as a single large
> partition, then reformat using mke2fs -c -c /dev/... to Write+Read
> test
> them, but it may also be worth using dd to copy all zeroes over the
> first
> few sectors to blank them first.

For wiping and testing, you'd be better off using DBAN:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/

I see that there's some bitching on that page about the current
version not working right, so here's an earlier version that works for
me if you're also having problems with the new version:

http://abuse.mooli.org.uk/dban-1.0.7_i386.iso

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk