[Gllug] Windows 7

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Tue Nov 17 23:20:34 UTC 2009

On 17/11/2009 21:08, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>> machine respectively.  The netbook install has been flawless, the games
>> rig bluescreens one every couple of weeks due to a known problem with
>> Creative's driver.
>
> A SINGLE blue screen is too many!

It's a fault in a third party piece of software, one not certified by
MS.  Okay, it sucks that Windows 7 does bluescreen, but it's not like it
does it every 20 minutes, and it's usually only after several hours of
gaming.

> Good for you.  The boot time on the machines I've tried (and it's now
> been quite a wide variety) start pretty good, but as soon as you begin
> to add software, and as soon as you try to connect to a network, things
> start to get slower and slower.  You'll also find that the boot time
> increases radically (and stays increased) after each blue screen.

No, I don't find that at all.

>> Also Microsoft's product activation line is an 0800 number (0800 018 8354).
>
> Unfortunately, not for the ones I've seen.  The activation number I've
> seen is a "national rate" one/

Well, now you know.

>> I'm suspecting that you're doing it wrong, frankly.
>
> Perhaps, but that suggests that Dell, HP, Compaq, Lenovo and Acer are
> all "doing it wrong" too.

I don't follow your line of reasoning there.  Care to elaborate?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk