[Gllug] Firewalls suddenly blocking port 80? But how? And how can I check with no web access which device?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun Nov 15 21:14:14 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 08:53:19PM +0000, M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-11-15 at 18:35 +0000, John Edwards wrote:
> > 4) On the IPCop firewall, run:
> >         grep 'port=80' /proc/net/ip_conntrack
> > to list contents of the IP conntrack with source or destination of
> > port 80.
>
> That just results in a > and a blank line - what should I be expecting
> to see?

That is the shell prompting you for the rest of the command,
probably caused by you typing only one single quote, or a
single quote and a double quote.

I have a habit of enclosing sed/awk/grep search patterns in
quotes to avoid special shell characters. In this case it is
not actually needed. So you use:
	grep port=80 /proc/net/ip_conntrack

It is best to run this a few after trying to access a website.