[Gllug] MS grumbles (was: take a lookat my photos on Facebook)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Nov 6 13:30:33 UTC 2009

On 6 Nov 2009, at 13:10, John G Walker wrote:
[...]
> This, of course, was also the case for drivers, which was a pain. You
> had to match your hardware to your application.
>
> DOS was seriously minimal,

So was every other microcomputer OS way back in the early 1980s. 25
years on and even with modern understanding of what makes a good
operating system, we'd probably still not be able to write something
much better than DOS for the hardware of the day. It'd probably just
superficially look a bit like Unix rather than like CP/M, as that's
the modern fashion.

DOS's failings are only notable because it hung around for so long
before being replaced.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk