[Gllug] MS grumbles

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Fri Nov 6 14:24:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 06, 2009 at 02:06:22PM +0000, Avi Greenbury wrote:

> > I don't know what Windows 4 is, but there was no login to Windows 3.1.
> > This was a presentation manager that run under DOS, somewhat like KDE
> > or Gnome under Linux,
> >

> Windows NT was not of the same lineage as 'normal' Windows. Windows NT
> 3.51 is an iteration of Windows NT 3.x, not of Windows 3.x.

Windows NT 3.1 was the first version of WinNT. (Yes, the reason it was called
3.1 was for marketing purposes)

> I think all iterations of Windows NT were/are free of DOS proper,
> instead providing an emulator, though I'm not sure.

You are correct. Although the command prompt is just a command prompt. Not a
DOS emulator. It just happens that it uses DOS commands which people were
familiar with.

Dan
--
Weiner's Law of Libraries:
	There are no answers, only cross references.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk