[Gllug] MS & LSE ROFL!

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 22 10:52:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 3:38 PM, general_email at technicalbloke.com
<general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
<snip>

>> They are 'trying' to recover from backups now, but it is 'touch-and-go'.
>> WTF? Can't Windows even do a *backup* properly? How hard can copying a
>> file over and over again be?

Windows per se? Not AFAIK, but if you install a good third party
enterprise app. (Networker comes to mind), it should be fine (contrast
this against UNIX/Linux, but specially UNIX, where simple but
perfectly capable backup tools have been available forever).

> The T-mobile sidekick fiasco was due to an MS powered SAN upgrade
> failure. It seems like it's not uncommon for large SANs not to be backed
> up these days!
>
> Roger.

How can that be? I have worked in sites with substantial SANs and one
of the  major concerns was the cost to back (archive) the data up!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk