[Gllug] Take a look at my photos on Facebook

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Fri Nov 6 08:50:12 UTC 2009

On 6/11/09 06:39, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 18:27 +0000, Bernard Peek wrote:
>
>> I've heard lots of people tell me that it's impossible to build a stable
>> Windows system when I know that it passed the five-nines (given
>> competent administrators) availability point nearly ten years ago.
>
> I have NEVER seen anything even remotely approaching TWO nines
> availability with Windows.  The NT Series is so fundamentally flawed
> that it can never achieve any real stability or security - I know, I had
> to work on it!

You should look harder then. Come and have a look at our Windows 2003
servers that have been happily serving multiple complex .NET websites
for 5 years without a single crash (hardware failures excluded and I
don't think even you could blame Microsoft for a PSU failure and a
couple of dodgy disks :).

I just don't recognise your description of Windows. Yes, it's hateful in
many ways, it's software after all and all software sucks but it's no
longer as unreliable as you make out.

Maybe you've just been terribly unlucky.

Simon.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk