[Gllug] Take a look at my photos on Facebook

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Nov 4 06:40:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 21:42 +0000, M.Blackmore wrote:

> Wonder how much it would cost for a Russki "hit" on Ballmer?

Tempting, isn't it?

Incidentally, the latest Redmond Rubbish is just as broken as the
previous versions - the same vulnerabilities still exist.

At work we got two laptops with Win 7 pre-loaded, so I've had a chance
to see it.  First boot was surprisingly quick, but the shiny bits are
much the same as Vista.  There was no option to choose browser (like
there was meant to be).

We installed the latest version of "Office" onto one of them, and tried
to use it.  File transfer is horribly slow, and it fell over to a blank
screen after half an hour of use.  A (very slow) reboot allowed it all
to start up again.  The boot time was now several times longer than the
first time, and the "performance" of the whole thing appeared sluggish.

At this point, neither machine had been attached to a network.  We
installed "F-secure" anti-malware nonsense (our IT department demand it)
on both and the machines slowed down radically.  We connected to the
'net via our network, and tried to download updates to the anti-malware
effort and to Windows.

Both machines began nagging about "registration".  We got both
registered (after some time on the phone to India), and then our
troubles really started.  We had both crash several times, and one of
them lost the ability to network at all.  I tried booting Knoppix on the
broken one, and networking was fine, demonstrating that it was Windows
that couldn't network, rather than a hardware fault.

The one with "Office" "lost" a few files that had been saved to it, and
after relocating and restoring them (they'd been arbitrarily sent to the
Trash), we found that they were corrupt!

Both machines have been reinstalled from their "support" discs, and
returned to the manufacturer as "not fit for purpose"!

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk