[Gllug] Desktops with preinstalled linux

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Mon Nov 23 22:23:28 UTC 2009

Nix wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2009, Michael Stevens outgrape:
>
>> http://www.dnuk.com/homepage.php used to be good. I haven't bought
>> from them in a while though.
>>

> I refreshed all my machines from them earlier this year. As long as
> you're careful to get ATI video cards their stuff is excellent: no
> complaints at all, except about the courier company, who, er, 'lost' the
> server (as in it reached the warehouse and then evaporated: losing a box
> this large takes talent. Apparently the lorry and driver also could not
> be located: a matter for the police, I suspect). So they sent me another
> one.
>
> They do recommend nvidia all over the place but it's easy to avoid it
> (nvidia avoidance is probably a reflex in anyone posting here).

Really? I posted a Q here a few months ago soliciting compatible 3D
graphics card advice and don't recall getting many suggestions at all,
let alone a strong preference for ATI. I was wary of ATI because of
previous problems with their flaky drivers on Windows, so in the end I
got an nVidia GT9500 and I've been very happy with it since. I choose
the model by googling a bunch of companies that sold preinstalled linux
systems and noting what they were installing in their mid range systems,
turned out to be GT9400s & GT9500s. It works like a dream compared to my

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk