[Gllug] Windows 7

Shannon Carver shannon.carver at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 23:37:18 UTC 2009

2009/11/17 Martin A. Brooks <martin at hinterlands.org>

> On 17/11/2009 07:20, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> > Random crashes - often not reproducible, and often requiring a hard
> > reset.
> >
> > On-line registration failure, necessitating a call to a useless call
> > centre at great expense.
> >
> > Incompatibility with (even quite recent) software.
> >
> > Failure to correctly render web pages and failure to install suitable
> > browser add-ons for some multimedia content (and "Media Centre" doesn't
> > work properly).
> >
> > Seriously slow "performance" after a few boots - it gets slower each
> > time you try to use it.
> >
> > Really long boot times after the first few uses.
> >
> > General networking problems - lost configuration is common.
> >
> > Arbitrary interruption by the "protection" functions - " are you REALLY,
> > ABSOLUTELY, DEFINITELY, DETERMINEDLY certain you want to do that?".
> >
> > ...and it even LOOKS bad!
>
> If all that's true then either your hardware is screwed or you're doing
> it wrong. I run Win7 32 bit and Win7 64 bit on my netbook and gaming
> machine respectively.  The netbook install has been flawless, the games
> rig bluescreens one every couple of weeks due to a known problem with
> Creative's driver.  Both boot significantly faster than XP, I get _much_
> better battery life out of the netbook with Win7.
>
> Also Microsoft's product activation line is an 0800 number (0800 018 8354).
>
> I'm suspecting that you're doing it wrong, frankly.

Absolutely, I do a fair bit of WIndows Dev work (.NET world, unforunately,
though I'd not drop Visual Studio for the world), and have been using
Windows VM's inside linux for a long while now (RC1 since March), with
Windows 7 there's a noticeable increase in performance and boot time is
sweet.  I've not noticed any slow downs, blue screens, etc, etc and its fine
on the work laptop and demo laptop that it's installed natively on. And this
is running three different vesions, Release Candidate 1, MSDN Universal
Subscriber (Windows 7 Ultimate with the Volume License Key), and Windows 7
Ultimate retail.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no more a Windows Fanboy than anyone else here, but
find the same old "This new version of Windows is hopeless, I'm sticking
with the old one" a bit tiresome, as I don't consider that's ever been the
case (apart from when that Monstrosity Windows Me came out)!

And as for the 32bit versions, I realise there's still non x64 CPU's
floating around, but I'm a 100% 64bit user now and have been for approximate
3 or 4 years.  If my old work Vista 32bit machine was anything to go by
(powerful, dualcore, 4GB ram, but not all usable of course, and ran
absolutley Terribly), I'd say the 32bit install is the core of the problem!