[Gllug] xampp error

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sat Nov 14 02:16:21 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:54:16PM +0000, Colin Wright wrote:
> It says:
>
> Ubuntu-desktop:~$ ls -la xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz
> ls: cannot access xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz: No such file or directory
>
> :s it's definatly there

Hmmm. When you said "downloaded to my desktop" - did you mean
your "desktop machine" or did you mean your "desktop folder"?

If you can see an icon on your "desktop" window, then that is
probably in your "desktop folder" and not your home directory.

The directory your shell starts in as default in the top level of
your home directory (usually /home/$username or shortened to ~/ ).
So I suspect when are using the shell to look in your home directory
you will not see the files on your "desktop".

The location for your desktop folder depends on what desktop
enviroment you are using, but I would try looking first in
~/Desktop/ with:
	ls -la ~/Desktop/xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz

And you can then unpacked it into /opt using:
	tar -xvzf ~/Desktop/xampp-linux-1.7.2.tar.gz -C /opt

Or if you still can't find it, then you could try using your GUI file
manager to move it from your desktop directory to your home directory.

ps. I am using "folder" and "directory" to mean the same thing.
Some GUIs use one term and some the other, depending how close
to Mac/Windows/Xerox they want to be. Shell and command line
tools (and users) almost always use "directory".:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directory_(file_systems)