[Gllug] Why we still like CRTs

Andrew Davies amd_uk at lineone.net
Mon Nov 23 12:39:48 UTC 2009

t.clarke wrote:
> I wouldn't be at all surprised if modern consumer electronic devices
> incorporated a 'countdown chip' that failed some vital bit of the circuitry
> so many years after initial power-up !
>
> Tim

Consumerism would seem to demand that some sort of  upgrade happen as
quickly as possible, whether imposed or desired. Tech is the ideal
consumer item in that rapid advances mean that deemed or imposed
obsolescence occurs sometimes even before the box has been opened.
One of the most recent mass-market examples of this is the new HDMI
specification that was finalized in June. HDMI 1.4 actually changes the
plug type to allow higher video bandwidth and an Ethernet-compatible
100Mbps data channel.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk