[Gllug] Monitor sensing with Debian

Walter Stanish walter.stanish at saffrondigital.com
Sat Nov 28 11:19:08 UTC 2009

> A server running Samba is expected to run in an otherwise all
> Microsoft environment, often without a monitor but I occasionally
> need to connect to a monitor. The monitor type is usually detected
> during booting, but it is not always possible to reboot completely
> to re-detect the monitor. I assume that there must be another way?

If you're using X, make it use the VESA driver at a commonly
implemented resolution (eg: no higher than 1024x768 or 1280x1024
is probably a good bet).  This should work with any monitor.
Configuration is typically in /etc/X11/xorg.conf or similar,
Debian documentation will show you where if you can't find it.

If you're not using X, then it should 'just work' as long as you
don't manually set any exotic text modes.

Finally, remember that Linux is often configured to blank the
screen after idling to save power and monitor burn-in so you may
need to press a key (shift is a safe bet) before you see anything
but black.

Hope that helps! :)

- Walter
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk