[Gllug] Take a look at my photos on Facebook

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Fri Nov 6 11:32:58 UTC 2009

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-05 at 18:27 +0000, Bernard Peek wrote:
>

>> I've heard lots of people tell me that it's impossible to build a stable
>> Windows system when I know that it passed the five-nines (given
>> competent administrators) availability point nearly ten years ago.
>>

> I have NEVER seen anything even remotely approaching TWO nines
> availability with Windows.  The NT Series is so fundamentally flawed
> that it can never achieve any real stability or security - I know, I had
> to work on it!
>
> C.

I worked on a site that did statistical analysis of their large server
estate. They were getting a predicted five-nines availability from the
beta release of Windows 2000, they delayed installing the RTM release
because of that.

I managed a much smaller server estate and in the five years I ran it,
total unscheduled downtime was one server for twenty minutes. That was a
result of a UPS battery failure.

Here at home I've got a W2K server that has had no unscheduled downtime
since W2K was released.

bap at shrdlu.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk