[Gllug] rsync-ing sub-directories only

GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Tue Nov 24 10:33:07 UTC 2009

Alain Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:57:15AM +1300, GLLUG at getaroundtoit.co.uk wrote:
>> Dear commandLN mavens,
>>
>> Is there a way to have rsync one-way mirror my laptop's Desktop and my
>> 'main machine', in such a way as to only target Desktop sub-directories
>> whilst ignoring all simple files sitting on the Desktop itself?
>>
>> Any and all advice will be appreciated,
>> =dn

> Why not put all your projects directories into a subdirectory of 'Desktop'
> (eg 'Desktop/Work') and rsync all of that.

Alain,

Two answers:-

Sensible: because I prefer to go broad before going for depth - or more
prosaically because when I'm in Gnome the folder icons on the Desktop
serve as a reminder and ToDo list without having to open the File
Browser to look in Desktop/Work

'Ornery: because it seemed simple enough, then became a challenge, then
became a frustration of something more difficult than it at first seemed
- and I couldn't leave it at that, now could I?

Yours IS more sensible!
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk