[Gllug] Windows XP 64 bit password reset from Ubuntu - where is the equivalent of SAM?

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Nov 8 23:12:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 22:31 +0000, M.Blackmore wrote:
> I'm getting nowhere trying to reset a forgotten 64 bit XP password from
> Ubuntu 9.10 - all references seem to lead to 32 bit ../system32/SAM and
> chntpw. And I can't find the equivalent in 64 bit directory structure.
>
> What should I be looking for (and will chntpw still work on whatever
> file the passwords are hidden within in XP 64?)
>
> Got me banging head against wall which is waking the baby up.
>
> Many thanks

The tool I use to recover XP passwords is "ophcrack".  One version is a
bootable CD which loads a minimal version of Slax, and then runs the
ophcrack programme.  It displays passwords it finds against their
corresponding usernames.  The last time I ran it, I recovered eight
usernames and obscure passwords in about five minutes.

HTH

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk