[Gllug] Configuration file sharing

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 14:39:09 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Christopher Mocock <chris at wavestore.com> wrote:

> Surely you just need a script which iterates over your list of servers
> and does a "git push" to each one. Seems like a fairly elegant solution
> to me but I must be missing something as I am a git noob (or noob git
> maybe).

You're missing the fact that "git push" merely copies the changes to
the remote object store. It doesn't (by default) check them out, so
they're not visible in the filesystem. There are hooks that allow you
to do the checkout when a new object arrives if you want to do that,
or you could use a VCS like darcs that does represent the changes in
the filesystem immediately. Or just use rsync.

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk