[Gllug] wicd manager

Damion Yates damion at trap.me.uk
Mon Oct 26 12:28:12 UTC 2009

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009, Lucy Peters wrote:

> > It seems that you still have an ip despite turning dhcp off, but
> > sadly not the one gained via dhcp from the cable router. What is
> > your ip, dns server and default gateway when plugged in wired? (the
> > ifconfig/netstat/cat commands).
>
> ifconfig
>           inet addr:86.1.111.198  Mask:255.255.252.0
>
> netstat -nr
> 0.0.0.0         86.1.108.1      0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0
>
> cat /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 194.168.4.100
> nameserver 194.168.8.100

Okay so when you connect a computer to the cable router it's probably
doing some direct passthrough, it's not likely to be providing you with
a small subnet of direct Internet routeable IPs.  This could be pppoa
pppoe or just the router letting you have the valid IP updating via dhcp
and keeping something else internal itself to its def.gw (the 10.
address we saw before presumably).

These details:

IP: 86.1.111.198 (mask 255.255.252.0 - this is important due to the gw)
gw: 86.1.108.1
DNS: 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

These, if hardwired via wicd, /might/ work via wireless when everything
is plugged up.  However, I suspect your wifi router is configured to try
and get in the way, it probably has firewalling and NAT turned on.
Using it passively as a simple physical<->wifi media conversion and
routing our with those details isn't ideal (details not gained via dhcp*)
and limits you to one box accessing at a time.

*Actually the IP address is probably dynamic and likely to need to
change when Virgin need it to.

So it makes the most sense to configure your wifi router as your main
network access.  Plugging in wired via any of its ports for stuff with
no wifi, connecting wirelessly for all your wifi devices, and let it do
NAT for multiple hosts to work.

It doesn't seem to have correctly picked up those details above as its
IP/dns settings, so we need to see why not.  It's possible your cable
router isn't happy trying to deal with multiple devices trying to access
at the same time, so try plugging the wifi router in on its own to the
cable router, use the WAN port on the wifi router (despite what was
suggested before), reset both devices and give it a bit of time.  The
cable router should decide it's happy with that new device being your
main single use IP device on its LAN.  Then with dhcp turned back on, on
the wifi router and wicd you should be picking up the 192.168 range IP
and be able to communicate with the wifi router, the options pages
should show that it has a working valid master IP (in the range
86.1.108.0/22) with correct dns and stuff.  Stuff should work from that
point.

If your cable router isn't letting your wifi router pick up what it
needs to be its def.gw then I'm not really sure what is best to suggest
next, you /could/ try using the IP details above entered in to the wifi
router via its web interface, they might be dynamic but aren't likely to
change that often, this could temporarily enable the wifi router to be
connected properly and therefore pass traffic and work.

Good luck.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk