[Gllug] emulating a pendrive

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Oct 13 14:31:33 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 03:45:29PM +0200, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> I am not sure if that would work. The dvd player scans the directory of
> the storage device, letting you browse the tracks, then play whichever on
> you want. Presumably the windows driver is to allow building of the
> directory and then serving requests for a particular file. Also I am
> guessing that the cables without drivers only allow you to copy one file
> at a time from host to host. Since the dvd player doesn't actually copy
> the files it might not work. Still it would be interesting to get hold of
> one of these cables and see if it was hackable (maybe it would work with
> samba ?).

I'm sure you're right that a driver *must* be required at the sending
end.  There seems to be very little hard technical data available
on how these things work (the driverless ones, I mean).

Some accounts say that it is a feature that Microsoft added to Vista,
which will mean it's proprietary, undocumented and probably based on
SMB.

Others say it uses the USB Host to Host Networking, which is a
standard and supported in Linux with the usbnet framework:

http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.31/drivers/net/usb/usbnet.c

but it must still need some software to do the USB mass storage
presentment, unless it does SMB over the network (in which case it
likely won't work with your DVD player).

If you buy one, do let us know ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones