[Gllug] emulating a pendrive

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Wed Oct 14 11:45:13 UTC 2009

On 13 Oct 2009, at 22:13, Nix wrote:
[...]
> After the Big Upgrade earlier this year, all my non-embedded machines
> now have firewire ports, but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen
> anything that can plug into them. Everything seems to be USB.

Yes, because it's cheaper to build a USB device than a Firewire one.
It's VHS versus Betamax again.

> What's firewire actually used for?

It's used a little bit more in the Mac than the PC world, although
it's hardly vibrant there either.

I mainly use it to recover the tattered remains of filesystems from
Mac laptops that have had a bad day. Also, given the option, I'll also
prefer an external Firewire drive to USB because it's just so much
faster.

OTOH, I don't exactly use my USB ports for much. The iPod, external
disks, and my 3G dongle are about it. Considering that the iPod and
disks are just doing SCSI-over-USB and the dongle is doing RS232-over-
USB, it's still debatable whether we've really gained anything useful
over the last decade or so...

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk