[Gllug] recommendation for external hard drive

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:25:21 UTC 2009

Daniel Kingshott wrote:
> I've found the sea agent drives to be hideously annoying when they go into 'sleep' mode and take some time to wake up
A lot of models are like that these days and those types rarely come
with on/off switches any more. They're mainly aimed at low usage people
running Windows and powering their PCs up only when they want to play
something or browse so the drives are minimal effort for those sorts of
users that they are targeted at as they start up, shut down and spin
down along following the PC usage pattern. There are utils to control
that spin down behaviour if I recall correctly, but again, they are
Windows utils.

If you don't like that "sleep mode", avoid the models without on/off
switches, buy Iomega instead of Seagate/Maxtor/WD user level consumer
drives. The models with on/off switches are less likely to have that
spin down feature - at least I've observed few of these brands I have
don't spin down when they have switches to control on/off. The Toshiba
drives have switches too, but I don't like their build as much.

On the other hand, spin down could be a good thing if you're not
hammering the drives 24/7... will save you some electricity, and green
is good after all...

-h

ps. say hi to Jonathan for me. :-)

--