[Gllug] Modelines ignored on new GFX card :-(

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sat Oct 3 14:27:15 UTC 2009

Nix wrote:
> On 1 Oct 2009, Walter Stanish verbalised:
>
>> Also IIRC some of the bleeding edge X servers are moving away from
>> the old style <X11|xorg>.conf entirely... probably not the case for
>> you though.
>>

> There's no intention of stopping reading xorg.conf: the intention is
> that X should work reasonably well without it, and that you should
> only need to specify the bits that you are actually interested in
> configuring in it (if anything).
>
> (Oh, and get a better KVM switch, the good ones pass EDID properly :)

Whoops I spoke too soon, adding...

Option    "NoDDC"

...didn't actually fix it, it was the next morning and I forgot I had
left my monitor directly connected as I'd been trying to get my EDID off
it with get-edid the aim being to reconnect it to the KVM and inject it
into xorg.congf somehow.

My KVM is an Adderview but it is getting on a bit (PS2 only). I can't
stretch to a new one right now though and surely the single most
important thing about linux is that you can hack it to suit no? ;)

So anyway, advice on how to proceed would be most welcome. Should I plod
on with the route I was on? In which case any ideas why I get what looks
like a good chunk of results followed by...

    Performing real mode VBE call
    Interrupt 0x10 ax=0x4f15 bx=0x1 cx=0x0
    Function supported
    Call failed

The EDID data should not be trusted as the VBE call failed
Error: output block unchanged

?

Cheers,

Roger.