[Gllug] Samba - Add Active Directory User to UNIX Group?

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Oct 9 12:24:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 12:49:58PM +0100, KJS wrote:
<snip no Unix Settings tab in Active Directory>
> I am wondering if this is the source of the problem... The Server is
> 2003 SBS (R2 I think).

You might be right. Small Business Server (SBS) is a cut down
version of Windows Server and some versions handle Active
Directory very differently and have different tree layouts
(eg using "ou=SBSUsers,ou=Users,ou=MyBusiness").

Linux can take it's list of group from Active Directory via LDAP,
but it looks like the problem you have is that the Microsoft
software you are using is not allowing you to

If that is true, then you have two options:

1) Try to use the SBS groups instead of creating your own groups.
From memory I think they have objectClass=group.

2) If you and the other admins of this system understand the LDAP
data that needs to added, then you could try to add them using a
third party LDAP tool. This might become a problem if you upgrade
to a new version of SBS servers by Active Directory migration.