[Gllug] emulating a pendrive

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Sun Oct 18 22:35:43 UTC 2009

On Sun 18 Oct, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Oct/13/2009, Richard Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 04:35:31AM +0200, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have dvd player which is able to play mp3's, show photos, etc. from
> > > files which are stored on a pendrive.
> > >
> > > Today I came up with the idea that I might be able to connect my (linux)
> > > desktop machine to the dvd player via a usb cable, and have the linux
> > > machine appear like a giant pendrive to the dvd player.
> > >
> > > Is this possible, and if so, is there some existing software which will
> > > allow me to do this ?
> >
> > You should note that there are two sides to a USB connection (called
> > "master" and "slave").  In the usual configuration, a USB mass storage
> > device is a slave, and your PC (or DVD drive) is the master.
>
> On summer 2006 I worked with a project where I used, if I recall
> correctly, the NetChip net2280.
>
> It's a PCI card that was acting a USB slave. I don't remember how much
> it cost to me, I think that about 80 or 90 pounds? . Linux recognised
> and I used to emulate a USB serial device, but I did some tests to use
> it as a USB mass storage and worked fine. Other computers was seeing my
> Linux box as one pendrive (even Windows, without problems).

   I use an external IDE drive housing which connects via USB2, and a SATA
drive housing which can connect via USB2 or eSATA, also a USB connected
adapter which will accept either standard IDE, mini (laptop) IDE, or SATA
drive, without any drive housing. Each is supplied with an external PSU. Are
any of those what you are looking for? All are HiPoint brand. One has a
partial Debian mirror created using ftpsync/rsync plus some ISO images on a
500GB drive, it is easy to carry around, and I can mount the drive on a box
running Apache to make it accessible on a local network without internet
access. (A friend runs a shop but is reluctant to install broadband close to
his retirement).

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk