[Gllug] wicd manager

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 11:30:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, Robert Newson wrote:

> lucypeters at mail.com wrote: ...
> > > Okay so we know both network cables work. It's possible your WAN
> > > port of your wifi router is broken, as it does seem odd that the
> > > wifi router is unable to pick up an IP from your cable router.

> > If the wifi were unable to pick up an IP for the cable router, how
> > can I enter the IP from the cable router to the wifi router ?

> Entering an IP address might not work if the router can't see the
> internet (WAN) in the first place.

In which case, as I've mentioned (and you repeated) it could be a broken
WAN port (take the wifi router back), or a MAC issue (change the MAC if
it lets you, if it doesn't take the wifi router back - or work out how
to convince the cable router to accept a different mac).

> > > (*) You might want to plug the laptop in to the cable router again
> > > and check /sbin/ifconfig again to check to see if this has changed
> > > recently.  You should then quickly try it via the wifi router
> > > again.
> > /sbin/ifconfig
> >
> > eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:00:f0:71:c3:41
> > inet addr:86.1.111.198  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.252.0

Good, it's still the same.

> > *DNS *
> > 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220
> >
> > how can I change the default gateway ?

> There should be a config screen accessible via pointing a web browser
> at 192.168.0.1

You might need to plug the laptop in to the wifi router rathert han use
wifi, but you've already been able to set the DNS as seen above, so at
some piont you used the web UI of the wifi router to configure it.  You
have(/had?) the manual, you've stated the model of the router earlier in
the thread and people have suggested which pdf has the instructions.  I
glanced at it and it seems you can set the IP.

> Without knowing the wireless router that you have (supplied by VM), I
> can't

I don't think Lucy said it was supplied by VM and we did find out the
model.

> If you've managed to change the DNS server of your wifi-router, then
> you should be able to find this config and set as required

Exactly.

> BUT note, if the router is trying to get the IP address from ISP (as
> mine is) and it is failing, there are two possible reasons that come
> to immediate mind (from previous emails):
>
> 1) WAN port isn't working for some reason;
>
> 2) You may require a specific mac address (unlikely as the only mac
> address VM required from me on set up was that of their supplied cable
> modem).  If this is the case, you may be able to set this via a config
> (as on bottom of the basic setting of my router).

Snap.

I'm still a little confused that the laptop won't connect with the cable
router when plugged via the wifi router used just as a switch with the
WAN port not in use, it's a little odd.  The most likely is that one of
the two network cables isn't working, but Lucy has tried using the
laptop successfully via both of them, or at least that's what it sort of
sounded like from one of the emails.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk